“Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.”
2017 was a fun year full of more ups than downs and a lot of lessons. I wanted to share some of those with you as we begin the new year! As always, this is going to be a long one so please bare with me.
What did 2017 teach me about…
“I decided that as long as I enjoy what I write, I am a writer for an audience of one.” ~ The Slumflower
- Writing is a long process – It’s not easy to put down your thoughts in a way that others will understand and it takes time, patience and practice. Don’t be so hard on yourself.
- Second guessing yourself never works – You miss out on learning yourself when you don’t trust yourself enough.
- Quality over quantity – Rushing to post something for the sake of keeping to a schedule can result in the message in your post being lost. Your authenticity is worth the time.
- Your growth is more important – Don’t get caught up in seeing your blog grow at the risk of not seeing yourself grow. Numbers are great but not as important as your growth.
- It’s OK to experiment – You are made up of so many wonderful things and you must explore each one to see what truly makes you happy.
Career & Finance
“The speed of your success is limited only by your dedication and what you’re willing to sacrifice” ~ Nathan W. Morris
- Be open minded to your possibilities – If you don’t know how to do it today then learn it today so you can do it tomorrow.
- Invest in yourself – You are the only key to your success and you are responsible for you. Use your money and time on working on you first.
- Take a chance – You don’t always have to be completely ready for something, just do it and see what happens. Sink or swim you will learn something.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help – Knowledge is power. You are surrounded by people and places that know things that you don’t so use it to your advantage.
- Be thankful every single day – Finances and a career determine the quality of your life. Be thankful everyday that you are blessed to have both.
“The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.” ~ Marcel Proust
- Solo travelling isn’t for everyone – And that’s OK.
- Know what you want out of your trip – If it’s relaxation you want then make sure you get that. It’s your money and time being spent too.
- Take more pictures – Memories may fade but pictures last forever. Don’t ever miss an opportunity to capture a moment in time.
- Find ways to make your travel easy from start to finish – With every trip you should learn something that will make your next trip easier.
- Travel more – Don’t just travel abroad. Get to know the world you have access to – even the world outside your front door.
“To lose confidence in one’s body is to lose confidence in oneself.” ~ Simone de Beauvoir
- Beauty starts with you first – Loving and treating yourself better should be your priority and you don’t need validation or permission from anyone else.
- Make-up is an accessory not a necessity – You do not need make-up. It’s nice but it’s not a must. End of discussion.
- Deal with one skin problem at a time – Isolate your problems so you can figure out which solution works for which problem. You can’t fix it all at once.
- Be consistent and be patient – Find a routine that works and use it till it stops working, then try something else.
- Drink water – You might pee a lot but your skin will thank you for it.
“Let him who would move the world first move himself.” ~ Socrates
- If you are not passionate about it, it’s not for you – You are wasting valuable energy that could be used for what you really need to focus on. Don’t force it.
- Set realistic goals – If the environment you are in isn’t set up to support your goals then you are setting yourself up to fail.
- Work with what you have – There is nothing wrong with wanting more but you have to be able to work with what you have first to get what you want.
- Procrastination kill dreams – Leaving things till tomorrow means you are choosing to be further away from your dream than you should be.
- Don’t let the internet rush you – Make the most of where you are without pressure from anyone but you. All that glitters is not gold.
There are plenty of lessons to be learned throughout the year. Some old, some new, some bad and some good. Whatever the year brings, embrace it and learn from it.
So thank you 2017. You’ve been good to me and taught me so much. I cannot wait to take on 2018 with the things I have learned!
What are some of the lessons you’ve learned in 2017? Let me know in the comments below.
Till next time!
3 thoughts on “20 Things I Learned in 2017”
You always manage to inspire me ! I love that you not only survived in the blogosphere but have thrived so beautifully .
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you girl! I’ll be honest, you’re one of the readers that keep me going. I’ve missed you’re encouraging words and your posts. You went quiet for a while but I’m glad you’re back!
Thanks again it the positivity. I’m waiting on your posts Xx
LikeLiked by 1 person
Oh wow that is awesome . I may not be as active on word press however checking in on your Instagram always gives me the feels and makes our distance a little less real. We have tons to catch up on regarding post however thou shall not fear I will make much effort to get in the swing of things . All my love to you!
LikeLiked by 1 person